Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chapter One-New Literacies for New Times

I really enjoyed reading and exploring through this chapter.  There were many connections and information from the IRA website and reinforcement on the importance of integrating technology.  There were some websites that I was familiar with and have used in my classroom and there were others that I have never seen before that I will share with my students.  Below are a few websites that I found to be useful and valuable. 
·         The Math Forum at Drexel- 

I really enjoyed this math site as it offered wonderful continuing education opportunities and professional development course that you could sign up for directly off of the site.  I liked how everything was all in one place and you didn’t need to go off and search for sign up information.  It also offered syllabuses for the courses which is something that I am always interested in seeing first before registering so I can make sure that the course is geared towards further development, since everyone comes with different experiences.  I also thought it was valuable for students because it had grade level activities, lessons, and expectations that were easy to follow and very ‘straight’ to the point. 

·         Starfall- 
I love Starfall!  I used it a lot last year when I taught Kindergarten.  It is a great resource for alphabet learning, phonics, and even reading.  There are many learning opportunities and fun activities that are easy for young children to follow and navigate independently.  I currently use in my first grade classroom as a literacy center occasionally and regular with my reading intervention students to reinforce alphabet recognition and phonics skills.
·         Education World-

I think the games are very beneficial on this site.  They connect closely with many curriculum standards.  They would be great to use whole group as well as individually, and even in centers!  I like how the sites for each game are listed with a description that is clear and easy to understand how it connects to learning.  Each has a grade level, focus areas, even gives the URL.  The availability of the URL is valuable because you can go directly to the site rather than having to navigate and find it.  This is great for teachers as it is all at one place!

·         National Geographic Kids-

Currently, I have a magazine subscription for my class from National Geographic and my students love it!  It connects to most of our science and social studies units.  I have explored this site as a group with my students to support lessons.  This really gives students a hands-on approach and connection to what is happening in the world.  I love how there are facts supported by videos, maps, notes, even quizzes, and e-cards.    I am looking forward to using this site with my students over the next few weeks as we work on our animal projects in science. 
 
   I am wondering if there are any other websites or online resources that connect closely to science curriculum, particularly at the primary grade levels.  I have explored and found a few like Discovery Education and World Book, but it seems like upper grade level resources are easier to find.  Any thoughts or ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment